Mac & Cheese Casserole
- 1 Cup Zesty Mexican BLENDABELLA
- 1 lb Elbow macaroni
- 7 Tbsp Unsalted butter, divided
- 2 Tbsp All-purpose flour
- 2 Cups Milk
- 1 1/2 lbs Grated cheddar
- 1 Tabasco/hot sauce
- 1/2 tsp Mustard powder
- 1/4 tsp Garlic powder
- 1/2 lb Grated Gruyere cheese
- 1 Cup Panko bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In a medium pot of salted boiling water, cook elbow macaroni about 2 minutes less than package cooking time.
- Drain macaroni, then transfer to large mixing bowl and toss with 2 tablespoons butter until butter is melted and macaroni is evenly coated. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan, melt 2 tablespoons butter over medium-high heat (do not allow it to brown). Add flour and whisk to form a paste.
- Continue to cook, while stirring, about 1 minute. Whisking constantly, add milk gradually.
- Heat, while stirring, until sauce comes to a simmer and begins to thicken slightly. Reduce heat to medium-low and gradually whisk in Cheddar until a smooth emulsified cheese sauce forms. Do not let the sauce come to a boil once the cheese is added.
- Whisk in hot sauce, mustard powder, and garlic powder.
- Scrape cheese sauce into pasta and stir until evenly coated. Let cool slightly, then add grated Gruyere and BLENDABELLA and mix well. Scrape pasta into a 9- by 13-inch baking dish and smooth surface to an even layer.
- Add panko to a small mixing bowl. Melt the remaining 3 tablespoons butter, then add to panko and mix until evenly coated.
- Scatter panko all over surface in an even layer. Bake on top rack until browned and bubbling, about 45 minutes.
- Let mac and cheese rest for 15 minutes, then serve.
- Time: 1 hr 30 mins Servings: 8
Recipe by Blendabella